Shrimp Soup Recipe
This Shrimp Soup recipe has been known to soothe the soul and is even said to cure a few ailments as well, but just because it's a soup made with shrimp, the world is just a happier place! This wonderful recipe is easy to make and very enjoyable for your guests.
Preparation time: 10 Min.
Cooking time: 60 Min.
|||raw shrimp, de-veined, but reserve shells and tails|
|||freshly ground black pepper|
|||medium onion, chopped|
|||red or yellow bell pepper, roasted, peeled and chopped|
|||cloves garlic, minced|
|||canned tomatoes, diced with juice|
- Combine shrimp shells and tails with water, salt and pepper in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to simmer. Skim foam as it rises from the broth.
- After 15 minutes, strain out and discard the shells and tails, reserving broth.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the bell pepper and garlic. Sauté for a minute. Mix in the diced tomatoes with their juices and saffron.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, just until the shrimp turn opaque and pinkish.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
Note: To peel bell pepper, cut it into eighths and lay skin side up on a baking tray. Put under a broiler until the skins begin to blister and blacken. Cool slightly, remove skins and chop.