Shrimp Scampi Recipe
"Shrimp scampi" is a term which, I'm sure makes any bilingual Italian smile because it's basically redundant. In effect when you utter the term you are saying "shrimp shrimp" with one of the words being in Italian, the other in English.
At the same time it is important to note that in popular use in the US, scampi has grown to be the name for a particular way of preparing shrimp -- the way typically used in Italian restaurants. It is in this context that we present this very easy Shrimp Scampi recipe.
This is extremely simple - shrimp, olive oil, garlic, and parsley - but there are many detectible ways to get that cooked. For example you might just sauté the fixing's and be done with it. In another recipe you might broil them. And some people might prefer to use butter rather than olive oil.
In this particular variation we go with butter and a little olive oil and it is absolutely delicious!
Use fresh shrimp if you can but it's more likely that you'll buy shrimp that are still frozen. Avoid defrosted ones in the meat cooler ... it's quite possible they have already started to deteriorate.
|||Cloves Pressed Garlic|
|||Dash of Cayenne|
|||Pinch of Lemon Zest|
- Defrost (if frozen) and peel the shrimp.
- Combine shrimp, garlic, salt, cayenne, and olive oil in a small bowl. Set it aside and let marinate a few minutes. If the shrimp are still partly frozen let sit until completely thawed. They'll cook better when completely thawed and at room temperature.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, in a small pan. (Don't get the pan too hot because you'll burn the garlic, boil off the great shrimp flavor, and could overcook the shrimp, as well.) As soon as the butter melts, add the shrimp.
- Let them simmer on one side until they're done half way through and then turn them over and cook till done. The time will vary depending on many factors, but for a medium sized shrimp you'll turn them after about 2 minutes and then cook them for another minute.
- Just before the shrimp are just done (don't over cook them or they'll be tough) add the sherry, lemon zest, parsley, and lemon juice. Stir everything together and cook for a few seconds more. They are ready to serve.
Good cooking, Bon Appetit and enjoy your Shrimp Scampi recipe!
What's your favorite Shrimp Dish?
Why not share it with other shrimp lovers? They'd love to hear from you.