Rocket Prawns with pasta
Rocket Prawns is not about fast food, although the preparation is also quick and easy. The Rocket refers to a flavoring which has recently started to gain widespread recognition and favor.
Rocket may also be known as Salad Rocket or Arugula
The most typical use of rocket is as a flavoring for salads; it lends an interesting, spicy note to all kinds of lettuce.
Chopped rocket leaves are a good garnish for many Mediterranean foods, but care must be taken that the rocket flavor does not become over powering.
Rocket leaves prepared with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and freshly grated Parmesan cheese make an excellent appetizer for any Mediterranean meal. You might also use rocket leaves as a garnish for meats grilled on a skewer or on a rotating spit.
In its pungency, rocket reminds of the various cresses; but it has, in addition, a powerful flavor of its own which may seem strange at first. Use sparingly at first, increasing as one gets accustomed. Use cress as a milder alternative or, if you like cress, use rocket on occasion, instead.
When heated (boiled or steamed), rocket loses all pungency, and acquires a distinct, rather subtle flavor that fits well with some kinds of highly flavored food such as Italian pasta or risotto dishes. In these uses you need a lot of rocket to impart a noticeable flavor and keep the heating period as short as possible.
Rocket Prawns serving suggestion (Photo by nettsu)
Cooking time: 20 Min.
main course dishes
|||garlic cloves, crushed|
|||medium-hot red chiles, deseeded and finely chopped|
|||ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped|
|||lemon finely grated zest, plus|
|||tiger prawns cooked and peeled|
|||fresh rocket leaves|
|||salt and pepper to taste|
- Cook spaghetti, in a large pot according to instructions or until the pasta is al dente.
- Just before the spaghetti is cooked, put the oil and garlic into a large fry pan using medium-high heat.
- When the garlic starts to sizzle, add the chilies and fry for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook an additional minute.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, prawns and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a minute or two just until the prawns are thoroughly heated.
- Drain the spaghetti and add to the pan of prawns with the rocket and mix well.
- Serve in 4 warmed pasta bowls.