Ginger Shrimp with Brown Rice Bowl
My wife discovered this recipe for ginger shrimp in Chatelaine magazine and it's
great. The most impressive part of it is the bright contrasts in
colors when it is served up.
The original version of this recipe which I saw suggests using medium shrimp for two servings, but you can choose any size you wish.
Ginger Shrimp Brown Rice photo courtesy John Cullen/Chatelaine.com
Preparation time: 10 Min.
Cooking time: 30 Min.
main course dishes
|•||firm ripe avocado||1
|•||medium peeled raw shrimp, frozen||11
|•||fresh ginger, finely grated||1
|•||feta cheese, crumbled||0.5
|•||fresh cilantro, chopped||0.5
- Cook your rice in a large saucepan using 2 1/2 cups of
water and salt. Bring to a boil then simmer ( about 30 minutes)
or till all water is absorbed.
- Combine the honey, soy sauce and rice vinegar in a small bowl using a whisk. Put aside.
- Remove the pit from the avocado, scoop it out of the skin and cut it into wedges.
- Run cold water over the frozen shrimp to remove ice crystals which may be there.
- Use a large frying pan over medium high heat and melt butter.
- Stir-fry the shrimp and ginger until the shrimp turn pink and are cooked ... should take between 3 and 4 minutes. Then remove them from the heat and drizzle 1 spoon of honey over the shrimp.
- When rice is finished cooking, stir the remaining homey into it then divide it into serving bowls.
- Divide the avocado, shrimp, feta cheese and cilantro over
the rice in the bowls and serve.