Garlic Shrimp Recipe
This Garlic shrimp recipe is one which you need to have at least a day's head start to prepare because it uses glutinous rice which needs to soak at least 8 hours. It is essential to use glutinous rice, and not any other type, or your results will suffer because the rice will not have the sticky coating which glutinous rice provides.
Garlic shrimp recipe alternative serving idea
Preparation time: 9 hours minimum
Cooking time: 15 Min.
Zesty Garlic Shrimp Balls
|||small shrimp peeled and deveined|
|||shiitake mushrooms, caps only, cleaned and chopped fine|
|||large egg white|
|||cloves of garlic, peeled|
|||scallion, white part only minced|
|||Vegetable oil for the steamer|
- Cover rice with 3 inches of water in a large bowl. Leave this soak overnight, or at least 8 hours
- Place 3 layers of paper towels on a baking sheet. Drain the rice and spread it evenly on the sheet to allow the towels to absorb extra water.
- Place the shrimp, mushrooms, egg white, garlic, scallion, Tabasco, and soy sauce in a food processor, run 4 or 5 short bursts pushing down anything which sticks to the sides.
- Run the processor about 1 minute to make a smooth paste. Empty into a bowl.
- Take 1 tablespoon of paste at a time and form it into balls, rolling it in the rice until covered.
- Put a light coating of oil on the bottom of a bamboo steamer tray and place the balls about 1 inch apart to fill the try. Use as many trays as necessary to hold all the balls, stacking one tray on top of the other.
- Use a pot large enough to let the steamer to fit inside with the lid completely sealing the pot. Add a 1/2 inch of water to the pot, cover and simmer, steaming the balls for about 15 minutes.