Dried Prawn Stir Fry with Green Onions Recipe
Dried Prawn Stir Fry uses dried prawns which is an alternative not widely known but handy because they are easy to store without refrigeration.
This recipe features two spices which are not frequently used, but may become part of your repertoire once you learn to use them.
First are whole mustard seeds, the other is Asafoetida, a spice Asafoetida from the middle-east which has a pungent garlic smell when raw, but in cooked dishes, it delivers a smooth flavor, reminiscent of leeks. It is sold as a powder.
Its odor is so strong that it must be stored in airtight containers; otherwise the aroma will contaminate other spices stored nearby. The odor and flavor become milder and more pleasant when heated in oil giving it a taste and aroma reminiscent of sautéed onion and garlic.
Prawns fry is a healthy recipe as it involves only stir frying. It's quick and easy to prepare and can be served as side dish.
Preparation time: 10 Min.
Cooking time: 10 Min.
|||fresh green onions (sliced diagonally, keep greens separate.)|
|||dried Prawns (wash and soak in salted water for about half an hour)|
|||fresh green chile (chopped)|
|||fresh Garlic (chopped)|
|||pinches of Asafoetida (hing)|
|||Salt to taste|
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter add the asafoetida, garlic, chile and the white part of the onions.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Squeeze the water out of the prawns which should be soft and spongy.
- Add prawns to the pan, stirring continually.
- salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes (or till the prawns are cooked).
- Add the onion greens. Mix well and cook for 3 more minutes on a high flame, till the onions are soft.
- That's it.
- Serve with pasta, rice or bread.