Coconut Shrimp Recipe
It's hard to imagine anything more appetizing than crispy fried shrimp in a coconut beer batter. This Coconut shrimp recipe is one appetizer that everyone (even beer non-lovers) will love!
You can also use white wine instead of beer for a different flavor. Serve these coconut shrimp with tangy-sweet sauce.
Preparation time: 10 Min.
Cooking time: 20 Min.
Coconut Shrimp Recipe Ingredients
|1/2 cup||all-purpose flour||120 ml|
|2/3 cup||beer||160 ml|
|1 1/2 teaspoons||baking powder||7.5 ml|
|1/4 cup||all-purpose flour||60 ml|
|1/2 cup||cornstarch||120 ml|
|2 cups||grated coconut||480 ml|
|3 cups||oil for frying||680 ml|
|1/2 cup||orange marmalade||120ml|
|1/4 cup||Dijon mustard||60ml|
|3 drops||Tabasco sauce|
- Combine all the ingredients - egg, 1/4 cup flour, cornstarch, beer and baking powder - in a medium sized bowl.
- Take another bowl and place coconut in it. In another bowl place the remaining flour.
- Taking one shrimp at a time by its tail drag it in flour and shake off the excess. Dip the shrimp in the egg batter and drip off excess batter.
- Next, roll this shrimp in coconut flakes and place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Store in fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the shrimp cool, heat oil in a deep fryer at 350º F (120º C.).
- Remove shrimp from fridge and fry them in batches. Allow to cook for not more than 2-3 minutes and turn once to fry evenly. Allow to turn golden brown, remove on paper towel to drain oil.
- Mix the marmalade, Dijon mustard, honey and Tabasco sauce to prepare the dipping sauce.
- Serve warm shrimp with the tangy dipping sauce.