Barbeque Shrimp Recipe
This version of Barbeque Shrimp uses an idea that I first discovered in Scampi Crudi which is the use of Orange juice where you might have used Lemon juice. The difference was subtle but delightful and will work on the barbecue too.
This recipe also suggests that you skewer your shrimp lengthwise from tail to head so that they will cook straight instead of the usual curled form. This, of course, is optional and if, for any reason you prefer the round form the recipe will work.
Barbeque Shrimp serving suggestion
Preparation time: 20 Min.
Cooking time: 10 Min.
main course dishes
|||Jumbo Shrimp, shelled and heads and tails intact|
|||Orange juice (freshly, squeezed)|
|||Orange Zest (grated)|
|||each Green onions, tops and white|
|||Ginger root, (freshly grated)|
- If using wooden skewers soak them in water for 30 minutes.
- Push skewers through shrimp, lengthwise, from head to tail, 1 to a skewer.
- Combine butter, orange juice, sherry, zest, green onions and ginger root in saucepan and cook over medium to low heat, stirring, until butter is completely melted.
- Dip skewered shrimp in the sauce and place on oiled grill rack about 4 inches above the coals.
- Baste liberally with sauce and grill for 2 minutes. Turn over and baste again, cooking for another 2 minutes. Smaller shrimp will be done at this point, but continue basting and turning larger shrimp until they are pink and cooked through.
- Remove from heat immediately when done, as they will get
tough if overcooked. Use any remaining sauce as a dip.